Thank you for your interest in studying at our university. Below you will find information on the application process as well as on required application documents and work samples.
Please note: As both application deadlines and the process of assessing applicants' aptitude for the program might change, please make sure to visit our website on a regular basis for up-to-date information.
Students who wish to be admitted to a program must meet the admission criteria and successfully prove their program-specific artistic eligibility to enroll. The assessment of applicants' artistic eligibility encompasses the pre-selection process and the admission test, both of which will be conducted according to the applicable regulations and statutes of the university.
You will find the link to our Online Application Portal below in section 2 (Applying Online).
Applications are accepted only once a year for the winter semester. The application period is March 11, 2019 through May 17, 2019. Please note that this is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline.
1. Preparing Your Application Documents
All applicants are required to submit the application documents specified in sections 1.1. through 1.4. Section 1.3. is only relevant for applicants who hold a university entrance qualification from / who have completed their first degree program qualifying for a profession at an institution in a non-German-speaking country and do not hold German citizenship.
Please insert page numbers on all application documents (with the exception of your work samples) corresponding to the order below and submit them in a spring binder (please do not use spiral or fixed binding).
1.1. Standard Application Documents
- the signed print-out of the online completed application form
- a table of contents (please also list your work samples)
- a CV in tabular form
1.2. Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program
For applicants holding a Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program from a German institution, the required certificates are specified under "German Certificates". For applicants holding a Certificate for the Entrance Qualification for a Master Program from a non-German institution, the required certificates are specified under "Foreign Certificates". For applications to this Master program, the regulations specified in §9, paragraphs 5-6 of the Brandenburg Higher Education Act (BbgHG) are valid.
Please submit a copy of your certificate to proof the successful completion of an Animation Bachelor of Fine Arts program or another relevant university degree program. In case the Bachelor's degree has not been awarded yet as the applicant still has to take a few final exams and the results of the exams taken so far suggest that the degree will be completed prior to the beginning of the Master's program, the applicant must submit a certificate issued by the registrar's office of his/her university.
Applicants who have earned their degree abroad must have their certificates tested and assessed by uni-assist (further information uni-assist). Please consider that the recognition process at uni-assist can take up to 6 weeks (you need the VPD document from uni-assist before our the application deadlines end). Fees are incurred for the checking of your application documents.
- This also applies to German citizens.
- Citizens of the People's Republic of China, Mongolia, and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam are asked to familiarize themselves with the special regulations for applicants from these countries.
Bitte reichen Sie einen Nachweis (Zeugniskopie) über ein abgeschlossenes Bachelor-Studium i.d.R. als Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) im Studiengang Animation oder ein anderes abgeschlossenes fachspezifisches Hochschulstudium ein.
Für den Fall, dass der Bachelorabschluss wegen Fehlens einzelner Prüfungsleistungen noch nicht vorliegt, reichen Sie bitte eine Bescheinigung des Prüfungsamtes Ihrer aktuellen Hochschule ein. Aus der Bescheinigung muss hervorgehen, dass aufgrund Ihrer bisherigen Prüfungsleistungen zu erwarten ist, dass Sie den Bachelorabschluss rechtzeitig vor Beginn des Masterstudiums erlangen werden.
Wenn Sie Ihre Masterzugangsberechtigung (MZB) im Ausland erworben haben, müssen Sie Ihre Zeugnisse vor der Bewerbung durch uni-assist e.V. prüfen und bewerten lassen. Die Bearbeitungszeit kann bis zu 6 Wochen betragen. Die Prüfung ist kostenpflichtig und muss vor Ende der Bewerbungsfrist abgeschlossen werden.
Weitere Informationen zum Ablauf der Zeugnisprüfung durch uni-assist finden Sie hier.
- Gilt auch dann, wenn Sie die deutsche Staatsbürgerschaft besitzen.
- Für Bewerber*innen aus der Volksrepublik China, der Mongolei und der Sozialistischen Republik Vietnam gelten besondere Regelungen
1.3. Language requirements
International applicants holding a university-entrance qualification from a non-German-speaking institution are required to show that they have achieved an overall rating of at least DSH-1 in the DSH ("Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" / German Language Test for University Admission) test or provide an equivalent language certificate complying with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Please submit a copy of the language certificate. Please inform about the accepted German language proficiency certificates of the study program.
Note: Further information if your German proficiency is lower than the required level.
1.4. Work Samples
Work samples showing the applicant's suitability for the program, including each of the following:
- A documentation of works and projects from the last two years revealing the applicant's individual artistic position
- At least 1 animated film (submitted on a USB2 or USB3 stick in common media formats such as QuickTime or MP4) in which the applicant was responsible for the overall production and the directing of the film. Applicants submitting animated films produced by a team must clearly indicate what they contributed to the making of the film.
- A project concept (if possible, please submit an animatic on a USB stick), including a design outline, an overview of the technologies to be used, and a rough timeline
Please add a table of contents listing the items included in your portfolio.
2. Applying Online
All applicants to B.A. and M.A. programs must apply online via the university's application portal. Please note that an administrative will be charged for each application.
There are special requirements for applicants who hold a foreign university entrance qualification or have completed their first degree program qualifying for a profession abroad. Please note that registering with uni-assist alone is not sufficient. All applicants must additionally apply via the Film University's online application portal.
3. Submitting Application Documents
Please indicate your name and applicant number (from the online application portal) on all application documents. Send your documents, the signed application form (from the online application portal), and your work samples to the following address within the stipulated deadline:
Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
- Please note that the application deadline is a receipt deadline, not a postmark deadline. Applicants who wish to personally submit their application documents can do so Monday through Friday at the university reception office / mail room.
- Postal items requiring the payment of C.O.D. or customs charges upon receipt will not be accepted.
- Applications that are incomplete and / or submitted after the specified deadline and / or for which the application fee has not been paid will not be processed.
- We will confirm the receipt of your application in writing or via the online application portal. Please do not call us to inquire about your application status.
Based on the materials submitted, the admissions committee will decide which applicants will receive permission to take the admission test and inform them in writing.
5. Admission Test
- Pitch of the concept submitted, discussion of the works submitted and the applicant's specific interests and motivations
- Assessment of the applicant's methodological and technological knowledge regarding the implementation of the project
Normally, the admission test results will be communicated in writing to the applicant no later than 4 weeks after the last test.
Do you have questions about the application?
For questions related to the program, please contact the program office to book an academic advising appointment.